Fleet 73.55 Security System Upgrades
Selected project examples
Location: Arkansas One, Fitzpatrick,
Grand Gulf, Indian Point,
Palisades, Pilgrim, River Bend,
Vermont Yankee, Waterford 3
Project Duration: 2009 - 2011
Project Value: approx. $120M/yr
Engineer, procure and construct all modifications to meet the requirements of 10 CFR 73.55.
Williams provided complete Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC) services in a fleetwide approach to upgrade all security systems to meet the requirements of NRC 10 CFR 73.55 at all nine (9) Entergy nuclear facilities.
Williams managed the overall implementation effort including estimating, scheduling and project controls. Working closely with Entergy’s corporate management team, security team and Engineer of Choice (EOC), Williams supported the development of the scope of the project. Williams had overall responsibility for final design, construction and implementation of the upgrades, which were implemented simultaneously at all nine sites to meet compressed schedule requirements due to regulatory commitment dates.
The work included design and installation of SOCA Detection Fences, Delay Fences, Vehicle Barrier Systems (VBS), VBS Drop Arm Barrier Gates, Personnel Access Control Systems, Intrusion Detection Systems, SOCA Cameras, Remote Operated Weapons Systems and Control Centers, CAS/SAS Modifications, SOCA Integration Platform, and more. Williams successfully installed and verified all of these systems and their integration to meet regulatory and plant requirements at each plant.
- Excavation during plant operation in areas with limited information about existing live underground electrical cables.
- Tying into existing plant terminations with new equipment while the plant was in operation.
- Working with materials such as security razor wire which required skilled personnel with specialized personal protective equipment.
- The project was successfully completed in accordance with the pre-established project schedule and budget.
- Williams mobilized nine teams to nine sites while maintaining an executive presence at the corporate headquarters for the Entergy.