Reactor Building Siding Replacement
Selected project examples
Client: Energy Northwest
Location: Columbia Generating Station
Project Duration: 2008 - 2009
Project Value: approx. $8.3M
Contract Method: Time and Material
The exterior siding enclosing the Boiling Water Reactor operating floor blew off the structure due to high winds. Williams was contracted to remove the rest of the siding, girts, and insulation, inspect the inner liner for damage, and reinstall new insulation, girts, and siding.
Williams provided project management, financial management, technical design support, field services and construction management.
The project included custom-designed specialized rigging and access, siding removal and replacement, insulation removal and replacement, and structural steel repairs.
- One of the main hurdles on this project was access. Conventional scaffolding, swing-stages, and man-baskets could not be qualified for use. The Williams Team located a mast climber manufacturer that worked with ENW and Williams to qualify the process.
- Another hurdle was the necessity to maintain secondary containment on the operating unit, requiring stringent precautions. Williams personnel had the skills and expertise required to create a work plan the NRC & ENW were confident could be completed safely and executed flawlessly.
- Throughout the project there were numerous technical challenges. To meet these challenges, the Williams Team developed improvements in siding design and repair methods, specialty tooling and detailed connection & flashing solutions.
- The project required the use of 10 mast climbers to a height of 200’, a 999 Manitowoc Crane, a 360 Ton Hydraulic Crane, multiple portable Spyder Cranes, hanging scaffolding and traditional scaffolding.
- The Reactor Siding was replaced while the unit was in operation.
- Zero recordable injuries and zero dropped objects while working at 200’ elevation.
- Exposure limits were managed below planned and approved levels.
- Successful inspection and repair to the inner liner safety system.
- Siding & girts replaced with more robust materials.
- Due to Williams’ excellent performance, ENW turned over management of all aspects of the project to Williams midway through the project.
- The final phase (North Wall Replacement) was performed within the Outage window with no impact on the Outage.